In 1989 the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore established the Richard A. Henson Award for Nonprofit Excellence in recognition of Mr. Henson’s deep involvement with, and commitment to, community needs, and his contributions to our community.
The Award is presented annually to a nonprofit organization, within the tri-county region, which has implemented a program or project that has made an outstanding contribution to the well-being of residents of the Lower Eastern Shore. Nominees for the Award should, notably, through their actions, exemplify the spirit of excellence which filled the life of Richard A. Henson.
The criteria for the Award correspond closely to Richard A. Henson’s philosophy that achievements in the nonprofit sector should demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, and that resources should be creatively marshalled to provide effective and timely responses to critical or emerging community needs. The Award Selection Committee will determine the selection of the nonprofit organization to be honored. The Selection Committee looks for nonprofits that have demonstrated board leadership and responsibility within the organization to carry forth their mission and to cultivate financial support in the community.
- 1989 – American Red Cross
- 1990 – Wicomico Teen-Adult Center (Dove Pointe, Inc.)
- 1991 – Coastal Hospice
- 1992 – Joseph House Village
- 1993 – Christian Shelter, Inc.
- 1994 – Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Lower Eastern Shore
- 1995 – Life Crisis Center, Inc.
- 1996 – >Habitat on Maryland’s Lower Shore
- 1997 – Salisbury Neighborhood Housing Service, Inc.
- 1998 – Maple Shade Youth and Family Services, Inc.
- 1999 – Fruitland Community Center
- 2000 – Diakonia, Inc.
- 2001 – Salisbury Urban Ministries
- 2002 – Seton Center
- 2003 – United Way of the Lower Eastern Shore
- 2004 – MAC, Inc.
- 2005 – Worcester County G.O.L.D.
- 2006 – Easter Seals Delaware and Maryland’s Eastern Shore
- 2007 – Lower Shore Enterprises
- 2008 – Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County
- 2008 – Village of Hope
- 2009 – Kids of Honor
- 2010 – Women Supporting Women
- 2011 – Worcester Youth and Family Counseling Services, Inc.
- 2012 – Delmarva Zoological Society
- 2013 – Coastal Hospice
- 2014 – Salisbury Wicomico Arts Council and Magi Fund